Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-17-2011, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Randa
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Randa, would you please tell me what page your Davis is on in this shop? I want to look at your machine and compare it to my Davis VF and I can't find the picture.

Nancy
Hi, Nancy...pics of the Davis are on 533. Let me know if we have twins! :-D
No, mine is not exactly like yours either. Both you and Trish, and now Vintagemotiff have a newer model. I think Miz Johnny's may be like mine. Miz Johnny does your VF have a reverse button above the tension disk?

I still love my Davis VF, but I'd get a NVF if I ever found one reasonably priced!

Nancy
Old 01-17-2011, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
Nancy-congratulations on your new white 221. Have you had the time to try it out?
No, I have not had the time to play with her. She is the white/green cast FW 1964. Her case is in great shape, no musty smell. I got her with the attachments, book, case and some vintage needles, etc. I will take pictures as soon as I can. I am like Randa, I have not told Hubby about her so I am keeping her under wraps right now!

Nancy
Old 01-17-2011, 06:31 AM

. . . I think Miz Johnny's may be like mine. Miz Johnny does your VF have a reverse button above the tension disk?

I still love my Davis VF, but I'd get a NVF if I ever found one reasonably priced!

Nancy
No, mine is the older model. It sews a great stitch, though, and it was Mom's, so I will keep it until they send me off to the home. We were in our favorite antique mall when we found it; she bought it, brought it home and we cleaned it up together. She did the refinishing on the cabinet (it was covered with many layers of shellac) and passed it on to me when she moved into a very small apartment. I think of her when I use it.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by pennijanine
Yes, she will be used, treasured, and loved. And from this day forward, she will be known as Penni! Thank you again for sharing this information this morning. :)
AAAWWW!!! I was just kidding, I hate my name! LOL[/quote]

I vote for Penni! If I knew what your name was Vintagemotif, I would name my 1953 FW after you since you found that one for me! My Davis VF you found for me, I'd still call Betty. That suits her!

Nancy
Old 01-17-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

No, mine is the older model. It sews a great stitch, though, and it was Mom's, so I will keep it until they send me off to the home. We were in our favorite antique mall when we found it; she bought it, brought it home and we cleaned it up together. She did the refinishing on the cabinet (it was covered with many layers of shellac) and passed it on to me when she moved into a very small apartment. I think of her when I use it.
I understand. You need to keep that machine and use her! I have my Pfaff 130 that was my Mother's. I will never part with that machine - in fact, I already told my daughter she has to keep it after I am gone! My daughter does not sew, but that's ok as long as it stays with us!

I wish I knew what Treadle my Mom learned to sew on. She wanted to be a fashion designer. She already had it arranged right out of high school. She had a place to stay and work as a nanny while she apprenticed in San Francisco. Then she started dating my Dad, they went out 3 times, eloped and that ended her apprenticeship. She had a boy friend that use to bring Dad with him when he (her boyfriend) visited Mom. Dad would go in and talk to Mom while she was treadling away on some dress she was designing. Her then boyfriend really liked to talk to Mom's Dad -- big mistake. I'd love to know what treadle it was. I guess, if I get enough of them I will have one like she used!

Nancy
Old 01-17-2011, 06:54 AM

Nancy-congratulations on your new white 221. Have you had the time to try it out?
No, I have not had the time to play with her. She is the white/green cast FW 1964. Her case is in great shape, no musty smell. I got her with the attachments, book, case and some vintage needles, etc. I will take pictures as soon as I can. I am like Randa, I have not told Hubby about her so I am keeping her under wraps right now!

Nancy
You girls are starting to remind of a late Aunt of mine, who would hide a new dress under an old dress when purchased to keep it unknowing to her DH. If you purchased the little lady with your money, 'why hide it?'
Old 01-17-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Randa
Randa, would you please tell me what page your Davis is on in this shop? I want to look at your machine and compare it to my Davis VF and I can't find the picture.

Nancy
Hi, Nancy...pics of the Davis are on 533. Let me know if we have twins! :-D
Here is the newest acquisition....Seems to be a 15-91 from 1946. Told you she was pretty dirty, but cleaner than the other one that wouldn't even stay in it's delapitated case. (The one I left behind.) So, it's a snow day here, can't even get out of the drive to go to work, so my day will be spent on here or at a sewing machine! (DH took the 4-wheel drive and went to work so I can play with this one!!!)

Why do old machine have these cloths wrapped around them?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]162201[/ATTACH]

This is like no machine I have...the tension in this position.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]162202[/ATTACH]

Can't wait to tear her apart and clean her up!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]162203[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-162196.jpe   attachment-162197.jpe   attachment-162198.jpe  
Old 01-17-2011, 07:05 AM

Enjoy your day, I'm off to a MLK celebration. Will probably join you guys later this evening. Enjoy playing with your old girls and sewing around.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty

Nancy
You girls are starting to remind of a late Aunt of mine, who would hide a new dress under an old dress when purchased to keep it unknowing to her DH. If you purchased the little lady with your money, 'why hide it?'
:lol: Yes, I used my own money, and he gives me a bad time about it, but also seriously says he doesn't care if I buy machines if they don't cost too much. $20 is not too much at all, but I just purchased the Davis and he had to help me pick her up...just not gonna push him right now. And actually, this has been sitting in plain site and he really never even saw it!!! It will blend in with the others, so I'm not worried. :lol:
Old 01-17-2011, 07:18 AM

I think the cloth around the machine was used as a pin cushion.