Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
July 2011 Weight Loss Winner is Quiltin Chris! >

July 2011 Weight Loss Winner is Quiltin Chris!

July 2011 Weight Loss Winner is Quiltin Chris!

Old 07-09-2011, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by nancia
i had a very lovely hot dog in a roll with mustard, ketchup and relish. i took the evening off. my headache is a little less this evening so i celebrated. i've been very good with drinking water when i'm not sleeping. lol i'm surprised i haven't wet the bed !!!lmao! on the other hand, eating has been very difficult. haven't checked my weight but i will be ok if it just stayed the same. thank goodness this is a looong month. i'm sure i'll need the extra time!

missy, i'm sorry cathy had to leave, but it will be great to see her again. does she work? what does she do? where did you meet? help me know her. she must be wonderful!
i AM losing--ground at the moment, weight soon! lol
Yum,a good ole hot dog does sound good.Think we'll have one tonight,as I got some beef ones and like to keep them on hand for a quick meal/snack before we ride,and it's so flippin hot,it's just now starting to ease up a bit.Our air conditioners are really dripping the water,and the neighbors quite.But got a new one.We always have extra older ones on hand to get us by till we can get to the store.No fun sitting in 110 and no cool air.I can get by,but do not even want hubby in it at his age.Altho he mowed the yard and watered and trimmed some of the trees early this am.Got more energy than I do.Anyway,ya,take a few days off losing and get rid of your headache.Maybe you have a vertabra out.Headaches are no fun.I found out last mo. I wasn't getting enough salt,after I had a sm tespoon of soy sauce,my headache went away,and I started perking up.I now keep sports drinks on hand,and it's really worked great.I get the 0 calorie ones.They are good.Hope you get to feeling better soon.I haven't lost any weight yet,but am bloated as heck.Need a good dose of mineral oil.Every body keep it up.we can do it.I just need to get going again,or the spirutien is comming out.I'm in a stall now.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:17 AM

Missy - hope you get to go on your vacation. Sorry Cathie had to leave. Things will get better you'll see.

I'm not doing so good right now - I haven't slept hardly at all for the last two nights. Think I'll have to call my psych doc to get my meds adjusted. One of my meds counteracts another one and when I get stressed out I get racy and they have to cut down on my antidepressant. It's a hard balance to maintain. But I have a good doctor and a good therapist so that helps. Unfortunatly my therapist is out of town right now but she comes back this week and I see her on Wed. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers.

DH is going to a baseball game this afternoon so I'll be alone most of the day but it's good for him to get out.

I maintained my food intake yesterday and when I took my blood suger level it was in the normal range so that's a good thing.

Xylie - I don't know how you do anything in that heat. You just amaze me. It's been in the 90's this past week here and that's way hot enough for me. We haven't had any rain for awhile and all the lawns are turning brown. Now they are predicting sever thunderstorms all this week.

Well, everyone have a good day. Stay out of the heat.

God Bless!
Old 07-10-2011, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by bjeriann
Hi everyone. I feel like I'm coming down with a cold. I hate summertime colds. Does anyone have a good remedy for this. I'm taking my vitamins and drinking alot of sugar-free OJ. I took some cold meds and I think it's making me feel worse.
Chinese style ginger tea, not the american style that has had a piece of ginger dipped in to a cup of water. My dh introduced me to it many years ago when we first got married.

Take a big handful of ginger, slice it as thin as you can get it then chop it. Pour into a quart of water, boil until it's reduced by 1/2. Add sweetener and drink. YOu know it's working because you can feel the burn as it's going down your throat.

It clears up the nasty post nasal drip and cough for me anyway.

You don't have to make it that strong, you can just let it simmer for about 20 minutes, add things like sliced lemons, a smashed clove of garlic, a couple green onions with the green part still attached. Or you can throw in a cinnamon stick to give it a little different flavor.

My mom lives in an area where ginger is super expensive so she just makes due with powdered ginger and says it works also.

Fortunately, around here we have several large international markets and now I can buy it concentrated and just have to add the boiling water.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:27 AM

a long time ago, i think it was in the days of socrates, my sister and i went to greece for a month or so in the winter. i caught walking pneumonia. one of the places we stayed made me a tea with lemon, cinnamon stick and honey in strong amounts. it really cleared my head and throat. not a cure, but a way to ease you through it. there are antivirals your dr. can prescribe, that's about all, or wait the 10 days for it to run it's course. sorry you're feeling bad! summer colds are the WORST! (that ginger tea sounds good), feel better! long distance hugs.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by bjeriann
Hi everyone. I feel like I'm coming down with a cold. I hate summertime colds. Does anyone have a good remedy for this. I'm taking my vitamins and drinking alot of sugar-free OJ. I took some cold meds and I think it's making me feel worse.
If the cold seems "stuck" in your sinuses, try a neti pot. It will help flush out the icky stuff.

Make sure to drink LOTS of water to keep hydrated.

(not participating in this round - just concerned)
Old 07-10-2011, 07:11 AM

Thanks Charity-Crafter and Redkimba I'll try the tea because I have ginger.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by JHolm
Missy - hope you get to go on your vacation. Sorry Cathie had to leave. Things will get better you'll see.

I'm not doing so good right now - I haven't slept hardly at all for the last two nights. Think I'll have to call my psych doc to get my meds adjusted. One of my meds counteracts another one and when I get stressed out I get racy and they have to cut down on my antidepressant. It's a hard balance to maintain. But I have a good doctor and a good therapist so that helps. Unfortunatly my therapist is out of town right now but she comes back this week and I see her on Wed. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers.

DH is going to a baseball game this afternoon so I'll be alone most of the day but it's good for him to get out.

I maintained my food intake yesterday and when I took my blood suger level it was in the normal range so that's a good thing.

Xylie - I don't know how you do anything in that heat. You just amaze me. It's been in the 90's this past week here and that's way hot enough for me. We haven't had any rain for awhile and all the lawns are turning brown. Now they are predicting sever thunderstorms all this week.

Well, everyone have a good day. Stay out of the heat.

God Bless!
Jeanne...I totally understand what it feels like to need to have my psych meds adjusted. I am part of a program called IMPACT and I see someone from the team every single day. (Thankfully though I am only having them give me my meds 4 times a week instead of twice a day. I am gradually moving closer to total medication independence...woohoo!!) They make sure I see the psychiatrist every four weeks. This last week I saw the psychiatrist and she adjusted my cloziril (the med that controls my psychotic symptoms like hearing voices, seeing things, etc) from 200 mg at night to 150 mg at night. I am so so thankful that it was adjusted because that little bit that I am not taking has made the difference in my sleeping all day and being happy and alert. BIG relief.

I used to take an antidepressant that would make me feel manic and thankfully the psych decided I needed to not take that one anymore. Now I do not have manic times at all.

I will certainly be thinking and praying for you. That is a given. I keep you and all the other folks here in my prayers daily.

BIG HUGS!!!

Missy
Old 07-10-2011, 08:13 AM

Good morning, all!
Your fearful leader has been up since 5 but working on some really weird blog posts. I have sympathy for all sickies today as my metformin (evil drug!) gives me stomach cramps and diarrhea for hours. I literally have been "running" all morning and just now feel a little settled. This killed church for me this morning and for that I am sad.

I am beginning to wonder if I am bipolar (my son is) because I am really going through periods of up and down. When I feel good, I literally cannot sleep more than 4 hours a day, and when I am depressed, I sleep 15 hours at a time. This last week I had two full days that I didn't sleep at all. Another thing to discuss with my doctor tomorrow.

Yesterday I did not quilt at all, so today I will be in the sewing room all afternoon. And I will enjoy every minute of it.

Journal: What is the advantage of being overweight? AA says that we keep doing "destructive behaviors" because we are getting something out of it. Be honest with yourself and discuss, "What benefit is it to me to be overweight?"

Motivation: Every step I take brings me closer to my goal.

Quilting: Food for the creative soul.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:18 AM

well yesterday I actually ended up walking a total of 6 miles. This upcoming week my goals are to lift weights twice and do cardio 2 times, with a stretching session somewhere in there.

I'll weigh in again tomorrow morning and see how I've been doing. I'm hoping to finally break through my platue, That would be a great start to the month!
Old 07-10-2011, 08:29 AM

MJ - I think you are right that you should talk about your moods with your doc. I am sorry that the metformin gives you such awful tummy problems. That is no fun at all!!

I finished designing a quilt last night so now I am doing all the math to get the cutting instructions correct. Once I get those perfected then I will go to my studio to shop my stash so I can make this puppy. I think it is a top that I can make in a day or so. Should not take long at all.

Are there any of y'all using the Electric Quilt software? I sure do love it! It makes my designing so much easier and really is convenient when trying to get the nitty gritty of the fabric requirements and cutting instructions done.

Once I get the top put together, I will post a picture of it.

I also am going to take time this week to make journal covers. They are sooo easy and go together so fast that I think I am going to make a bunch of those to set aside for my craft fair booths in the fall.

I got a link to a free pattern for an adorable purse. I really would like to make some of those too but I am only one person and I do not want to spend every moment sewing this week. I want to do some other things too.

Next Saturday my mom is going to go to Denver to pick up my nephews for a few weeks and then (if my sister does not want to go) we will be going to Texas to drop the boys off and to go to the family reunion. Please keep your fingers crossed that my sister does not want to go. I really need a vacation!

Anyway...I hope all is well this fine Sunday morning!

Missy