Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize! >

June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize!

June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize!

Old 06-17-2011, 09:09 AM

Jeanne,
Look around you and find a focus. Make a small wallhanging reflecting your deepest feelings. If you want it to be sunny, make a unique sunflower. Find something today that requires your intensity. That is the only natural way I know of to be debilitating depression. I was frozen most of the winter, not by cold, but by depression. Making myself make contact daily with this group is a lot of what pulled me through.

We are counting on you to be here for us. Focus for a little while and then come back and tell me what is was about.

Hugs,
MJ
Old 06-17-2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by JHolm
Well today was my weigh in day and I paid for Sunday morning foraging. I gained 1 lb. I've been trying this week to get back on track I guess I'll just have to work harder.
I've been depressed and extremely tired, I haven't even toughed my quilting in two weeks. Somehow I have to snap out of this.

I hope everyone will have a good day. We're supposed to have rain for the next couple days.
It must be the full moon,or the planets aren't alined right or something.This has not been a good week for us either.Everything needs worked on or broke,and I was ill,and some of the things I did broke or back-fired.Just not a good month.Anyway,on the depression.It can be traced to a lot of things in our lives that don't bode well with us.Like missing sombody or something.When I went on disability,I was depressed for a long time and didn't realize it.I really enjoyed working,and being with other people.And then I was a couch potato at home,not doing a lot,but moping around.Then when I got divorced the 1st time,I was depressed for yrs and took up drinking.Not a good move.I became an alcoholic.I finely said,I got to do something,or I'm going to die.So I went to a dr. and told him I was depressed,and he put me on Aterax,or buspar.I take o.5 mg a day,and it made all the difference in the world.I began to snap out of it and quite drinking,and again changed my life style.Got some new hobbies,like quilting,and my life changed.I guess our lives are like losing weight.If we're at a platue,we need to go a different direction,and try something else.Take risks,and see if it helps.I've always done things I never done before,and was successful at them.At 16 I waitressed for a banquet.At 2pm,the afternoon cook didn't show up,so I said,I'll cook the shift.Never cooked before,or new a T-bone from a rib,or rare from well done.But I did it,with the help of the waitress who told me what they looked like.And was the youngest cook to ever been hired there.It was a big supperclub with a band in the bar and dance floor.At 7 pm,I had 4 bar maids calling in orders too.And I did it.Maybe you need to start something new,it's our mind telling us,we're in a quag- mire rut,and something isn't quite right.Could be relationships,if so,reach out and try to fix it.If it's boredome,start going out for lunch with a friend or even go to thrift store and poop around.Anything to get your mind occupied and off your depression symptom.You may need to see your dr. and tell them,or even a psychologist to get to the root of your depression.They can help work thru it.And you may need meds. maybe something is unbalanced physically or emotionally.It's like my washer.It leaked and shocked me.I got on the internet and found there were several possibilities.So went thru all of them and found it was the drain hose.It wasn't leaking while filling,not leaking while agitating,but did leak while spinning and when it began to pump it out.So,same with you.We need to start checking off possibilities.Maybe even get a paper and make 2 columbs.One for what makes you happy,and one for what makes you sad.Then start working on them to change or tweak them so you can move them off the list.Anyway,we are all here for you.We are anonomus somewhat,so you can tell us your deep thoughts,and we'll be therapy for you too as well.There are others on here too,that are depressed,so touching on this subject probably is time.As it will help others too,to figure out why or what is causing it.You are such an inspiration to us all.You incourage us and help us tremendously.So,we will encourage you too.We all need help from time to time.And when we do,we do need to speak up,so we can fix it,and move on.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:48 AM

Good morning! I'm not too whippy today...last night had fever and chills, this morning woke up soaked and my left arm is tingly and weak. I'm hoping I just pinched a nerve on the left side...

Journal-It's the weekend! any special going on?
Motivation=2/3 the way through the month! Have I lost any weight? What am I going to do today to achieve my goal?

Quilting-What are you working on? WAYWO

A Friend of mine just had a Premie, he weighs 3 lbs. I'm making a cowboy baby quilt for him, sewing prayers into the stitches.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:10 AM

MJ - My prayers are with your friend and her baby. 3# is so tiny. We keep opposit schedules, your getting ready for bed when I'm getting up.

Thank you everyone for your support and encouragement during this period of depression. I am on medication and do see a therapist as I have other mental health issues besides the depression. It's just hard when I get in one of these spells where I become almost non functional.

Yesterday was a little better I did make it to water aerobics which was good.

The pool is closed today but I made plans to go out to church and walk with a friend. She understands my depression and is very supportive in helping me get out and be somewhat functional.

Thanks again for all the support. Hope everyone has a nice day.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by JHolm
MJ - My prayers are with your friend and her baby. 3# is so tiny. We keep opposit schedules, your getting ready for bed when I'm getting up.

Thank you everyone for your support and encouragement during this period of depression. I am on medication and do see a therapist as I have other mental health issues besides the depression. It's just hard when I get in one of these spells where I become almost non functional.

Yesterday was a little better I did make it to water aerobics which was good.

The pool is closed today but I made plans to go out to church and walk with a friend. She understands my depression and is very supportive in helping me get out and be somewhat functional.

Thanks again for all the support. Hope everyone has a nice day.
Well,that's good.I know what it is to have it.My problem was not a soul knew at the time what I was going thru,because I never told anyone.Until I reached the point of suicide,then I went and got help.I never could understand how anybody could end their life,what a waste I always thought,till I too contimplated it when I reached a point where I welcomed it.And planned it and looked forward to it.I was excited about it.It perked me up thinking about it.Like taking a nice trip.Then a thought came to me,who is going to take care of my hubby,my animals,.As I knew his step daughter would put him in a nursing home and get rid of all my fur babies.As she hates my guts.She is 3 yrs older than me.She is a very narcisiistic person.She's done so many terrible things to me over the last 20 yrs,and I;ve never said 1 word,as the holy spirit,just will not allow me.So I started fighting "IT" And cried out to god.Only then,did things began turning around,chains began falling off,doors began to open,and together my hubby and I literaly walked thru them.And I began to heal.So know depression is like a cancer.it grows,if not put in check.It's a very deep hole that we need to crawl out of if there is any chance of getting our lives back.I thank god every day he showed me the way out and thru the tunnel of depression.Good luck,and hang on.Help is on the way.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:24 PM

i wonder if depression is a result of overeating, or if it's the other way around? it seems like most of us suffer from it. i've spent most of the last 2 yrs in bed. no point in doing anything, tomorrow will come anyway. well, when i was told i was going to be a grandmother i decided she needed a quilt. and i stumbled upon this board. i am coming back to life because and with the help of you. it's hard to admit i had fallen so far. i still have a long way to go, but at least i will now get up to buy fabric and sew and now, quilt. i'm also learning to eat. lots of big changes and the start of a long journey.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:48 PM

Had an 'unofficial' weigh in at the local Weight Watchers - down 2 pounds since this past Monday. Small dance of joy for me. :)

That's 2.8 pounds so far this month, and a total of 26.6 pounds this year.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:29 PM

Hi everyone
Haven't been around to check in so just catching up on the postings.
So sorry for your depression jholm, my mom had bad bouts of it and it really made a "normal" family life tough at times. I, so far, have had no problems and I credit it to my DH who is always looking out for my moods and if I get down he is right there to shake me up and make me open up with whats in my head. My prayers are with you and the others here having problems.
redkimba great loss you are doing great.
MJ do take care and call the doc if you haven't and tell him whats going on I will keep you in my prayers
To all that have been losing "good job" keep it up as mj said we are 2/3 of the way through this month.We Are All Losing!!!
I have just .2 of a pound to lose to be at the 5 lb loss for the month. I will do this. Thanks to all for the encouragement you have given
I have upped my walking and increased my water intake. That shoudl put me over the top (fingers crossed)
I am working on a boys quilt for a friend who's son loves the movie
CARS so a quilt with that them for him. It's all ready to quilt so now to decide what type of quilting and then bind and it's ready to go to him.
I also have four other quilts for kids to be donated so not to bad so far this year. Quilting helps keep me out of the kitchen and not think about food. I do love food, all kinds, that is my problem. maybe if i couldn't taste the food I wouldn't crave it so.
Hugs to all
Gail
Old 06-19-2011, 03:20 AM

Well here it is Sunday and I'm back at the church kitchen overseeing coffee & treats. When I'm depressed I want to eat so today will be tough.

Thank you everyone for your prayers and support. Yesterday went well I stayed within my calorie limit and also walked a mile so all in all it was good. Will post after I get home to let everyone know how it went at church.

God Bless you all!
Old 06-19-2011, 03:26 AM

Jeanne,
here's a suggestion.
Each time you see a treat you really want, close your eyes and pray for someone who really likes that treat. It will make you refocus on both someone else's Likes/dislikes and their troubles.

Hugs,
MJ