Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-04-2011, 04:42 PM

Mulling over an idea right now. I have a 99k that I was going to convert to a hand crank for a future project, build a little box for it, so on. Now I am thinking it would be neat to put it in a treadle. I have a base I could use (no idea of the maker). The 99k came in a cabinet (bad finish), and I was thinking I could use the top off that and put that on the treadle base, making whatever modifications I would need to make it fit over the legs properly. I don't like the color of the cabinet, so also had the idea to paint it all a nice glossy black, maybe with some gold details (kind of like on the machine itself). I figure if I have to cut off the legs or remove a side, I might as well make it a color I like. Any ideas? I'm wondering if my day dreaming is getting to be too big a project! How much glossy black is too much?? The hand crank would definitely be easier.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
Mulling over an idea right now. I have a 99k that I was going to convert to a hand crank for a future project, build a little box for it, so on. Now I am thinking it would be neat to put it in a treadle. I have a base I could use (no idea of the maker). The 99k came in a cabinet (bad finish), and I was thinking I could use the top off that and put that on the treadle base, making whatever modifications I would need to make it fit over the legs properly. I don't like the color of the cabinet, so also had the idea to paint it all a nice glossy black, maybe with some gold details (kind of like on the machine itself). I figure if I have to cut off the legs or remove a side, I might as well make it a color I like. Any ideas? I'm wondering if my day dreaming is getting to be too big a project! How much glossy black is too much?? The hand crank would definitely be easier.
We did just that with my 401G. We took the top of a table the machine fit in and put it directly on the irons. All we had to do is line up the belt, and put in a couple screws. The table was made in a way that we could remove just the top and the hinged part - that way there is plenty of leg room. It isn't very pretty though. I like the idea of glossy black, but the 401 isn't black.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/atq/2685508941.html its a free one in CINCINNATI!!!
http://dayton.craigslist.org/hsh/2664492073.html looks like maybe a Necchi SU in DAYTON, OH
someone is a dreamer http://dayton.craigslist.org/atq/2670808800.html
http://limaohio.craigslist.org/fuo/2681599882.html Bennett - looks like a match for Cookie
http://louisville.craigslist.org/hsh/2633456490.html a 99?
http://louisville.craigslist.org/art/2673372286.html $10???

Last edited by miriam; 11-04-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
I say go for it!

I have a treadle that I robbed off of a W&W #9 and I am making a top for it to put my FC Henderson chain stitch machine on. The treadle is about the right year for the machine and it has the wood pitman arm so I am good there. It has been restored and sitting in the studio waiting for me to work my magic on it.

I say use it like you stole it!!

Billy
Old 11-04-2011, 05:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
That is the best price!! And the irons, machine, and drawers are good on it so you would have something to work with. I just hope it is not locked up but if it is I can get it unstuck!

Billy
Old 11-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Banned

This is a good machine to get it, is made in India by the SK Sharma and sons company. You can still get them brand new and in different colors like Purple. But if I felt like going there I would get it but I am already going to Jackson TN and my vacation home this weekend picking up machines.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/atq/2685262611.html

Billy
Old 11-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Banned

Okay crap looks like I am going to Nashville tomorrow anyway I just bought this....................
Attached Thumbnails 5t25u25r43ne3mc3ofbaua3ce3a4077ed1fd5.jpg   5z15u65s33n03o03l8bauc0712b5134b714af.jpg  
Old 11-04-2011, 05:29 PM

That was my feeling. I'm also thinking I hadn't better be too zealous in cleaning the black presser foot and slide plates either. She can be unshiny - she has such a cute shape.
Originally Posted by jljack View Post
NO!! Unshiny was original. Not made to be shiny at all!!
Old 11-04-2011, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
That was my feeling. I'm also thinking I hadn't better be too zealous in cleaning the black presser foot and slide plates either. She can be unshiny - she has such a cute shape.
Besides...with the crinkles, the wax will get down into the low spots and it's hard to get out!
Old 11-04-2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Oh my goodness--that cabinet looks very familiar to me. Downloading and saving the pics. Now I have to see check with my family and see if it's floating around somewhere or if anyone else remembers one that looks like it!! How cool would that be to find it? Looks like the finish is much nicer and more intact than mine. The 2 White's I've cleaned up were pretty simple to understand mechanically if anyone is interested in them.

I'd be all over that $10 one. Wasn't someone here just looking for a 15 clone that wasn't black? It looks like it may be one.