Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 471 of 542 FirstFirst ... 371 421 461 470 471 472 481 521 ... LastLast
Results 11,751 to 11,775 of 13526

Thread: The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by givio View Post
    Where is the update on the finger size strip quilt? :-) Is it growing?

Have at least a 2' square made with lots of small pieces...recharging the battery in my camera so a picture later
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Thanks ya'll! I am glad that ya'll like it! It is 19" square. I'm not sure if I am gonna put a border on it or not.
    OK, yes everyone finished their quilts. There were 2 ladies that still needed ta press & square up their quilts. They took picts of how I wanted 'em to square 'em before they left.
    I am pleased. I didn't break even but I got several ladies that said they would love to take more classes from me.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Blog Entries
    I don't think you can go wrong with a 9P quilt...it's a simple pattern with endless possibilities...kudos to you Bev....and when participants want you to teach more it means you've done a good job....

Lawn is mowed...I hate that job...MrOK greased the turning zerks today...sure easier on the shoulders....
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Here is my broken heart.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The kids have the travel trailer all ready to go tomorrow morning; they should have lots of fun together as a family in it. I have not prepared the usual big meals, just let it happen.

I finished block 19 in FW 1930; it was a bear, but it bares not repeating the block...its done and that is a wrap! Oh, the double bay garage is filled with boxes that I promised to sort out in a week or less....with intentions of keeping only one third of the stuff, even if I have to make a sign out at the road saying "Free Stuff".

Ok, I never heard how Em done with her knit outfit made for a four H project....did she love what she made and does she want more knit fabric....I have this wonderful light blue knit fabric piece that would make her a lovely outfit if she liked the knit...just let me know. DD has offered to help me 'cleanse' the closets of unwanted stuff...including more knit fabric and half cut out quilts..so we made our peace for now. Will see what works out for the two of us to get together to work on that.

Sue - How nice that ya didn't over work planning those meals. The 'just let it happen' plan had to take a great deal of stress off of yourself!
    Bev

Blog Entries
    QNS...Em really enjoyed sewing her dress...she just turned 12 this week...and yes she wears it and it looks really nice on her...when she was finished with the judging she was very excited as the judge told her she was considering it for State Fair...no it didn't go, but she was tickled that it was considered. By the end of her sewing I could tell how much more confident she was with the machine. Sorry she is not a light blue gal...more purple and red. She is not a girly girl. Next year Elise will be wanting to sew for her fair project as well so will have 2 to work with.

Whenever my tribe gathers I just make sure I have a general idea of what to fix and have food on hand to make it. "Just let it happen" is easy then. And don't feel guilty about the dishes...Best of luck with the big "sort"

Rosy your color combos always surprise me...a pretty broken heart...that sounds weird.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Oh Rosy! I loooove your broken heart! (I am not sure how I missed it a min ago!)
    Bev

Some nice inspiration with the 9 patch, mini Irish chain pics! I've got a big basket of tiny scraps; I might have to consider some mini 9 patches.

Rosy - love the hearts in your Broken Heart pattern!!! What a fun block!
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Thanks Ladies, the middle of the broken heart is really a nice purple color. I went rummaging in my closet and picked out some more fabric, I hope to do the boy's plaything today.

NS, so good it all worked out for you. I remember when My niece, her husband and three kids were visiting from England. I told them they could have the kitchen to cook for their family as it was way too much for me to do. They were delighted that I let them stay and save all the hotel money. I enjoyed them so much. They took care of themselves, cleaned up, rented a car and You wouldn't think there were 8 people in this little house lol. My niece and I made a quilt together for the little one. They stayed two weeks and not one time was I tired of them.

And that was because there was no stress of breakfast, lunch and dinner.....

NS, years ago when I went through my fabrics, I had boxes of polyester and other fabric. I donated all of them, I think 15 boxes or more. I had decided to just quilt and all I kept were the cottons. I don't sew clothing anymore. I can buy them much cheaper on sale.

It's a pity we can buy clothes cheaper than making them. I do the same, buy from the sale rack, and there's always something that suits me well enough. I used to sew clothes, but don't see the point in doing so these days. A wedding dress or suit is the only thing worth sewing anymore.

But recently I got some zippers for free through craigslist and I'm thinking about making a dress or two.

It's a delight to see the young girls who are taking up sewing, who enjoy choosing fabric and a pattern. They get a big kick out of wearing what they've made. It's not economical though...
    Last edited by givio; 09-12-2015 at 07:47 AM.

Everyone say a little prayer for the kids; they left in two vehicles because Rick is driving his big Chevy and Cindy is following in their Chrysler car with DGS with her. That 26 ft LTT follows nicely, but turns must be wide. I will worry for the next six, seven hours until they get home.

Ok, Em likes purple and reds; what do the other two like? As I remember there is a GS nearby that likes tractors and farm scenes too...I have started boxes with people's name on the boxes. My goal is fifty to eighty percent gone from my very small home with no storage....yes, we have over 1700 square feet, but very little storage space...single floor home. We had over 2100 before with lots of storage.

Have a great weekend everyone. I shall try to keep busy...busy hands make the day pass quicker....dishes are all done, so I will start the laundry and go to the sewing room to work, saying prayers under my breath...

Blog Entries
    Oh another seamstress here..we have 4 grown children and times were tough especially in the 80's...think "farm crisis". I started with simple dresses and pants for DD...learned to sew t-shirts. My kids were skinny...the Grands are, too. Kwik Sew had a western jeans pattern in slim sizes. Perfect, the price of one pattern in 4 sizes and a yard of denim, used zippers from MrOK's worn out jeans, and splurged on riveted buttons. I knew I had achieved success when one of DD's middle school friends wanted to know where she bought her jeans, plus the jeans fit. I kept track of costs and could make those jeans for half the cost of new. With 3 boys following DD I made lots of jeans. Now denim fabric is not as inexpensive to buy especially when I searched the flat folds at JoAnn's in those days. Also made 75% of my own clothes..Now cheaper to buy as mentioned.

Just sewed a sundress for GD#4 from a cotton polka dot...she loved it...and guess I still know how to sew clothes...

As far as economical it cost Em $30 to make her maxi dress..she's taller than her mom so not child size any more...and the satisfaction she received from it...priceless...
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Can anyone tell me why in FW 1930 Block 20 is only half there in pp? Four triangles in pp does not work for a 6 1/2 inch square...it has to be eight...or am I seeing wrong...

Blog Entries
    Elise likes pink and turquoise...Sam, the youngest, loves orange...chopper crew is here to fill the bunker silo...lots of traffic by my kitchen window....meal on the run...made my classic hamburger stew....

In skillet with a little fat, add 1 chopped onion and 3-4stalks of sliced celery. Cook over medium heat, then brown 1.5# hamburger with them. While this is browning, peel and slice crosswise 3 large carrots. Next I cube 4-6 unpeeled red potatoes (depends on size) and add both to the mix. Then I pour over a quart of tomato juice. Season to taste...I like Mrs Dash's original seasoning mix. Add a bit of flour to help bind the ingredients. Cook on stovetop til vegetables are cooked about 45 minutes. I have a deep (3") 10" cast iron skillet that works wonderfully. Using 1# ground beef and less vegetables and juice would work in a standard skillet. It's 2:30, MrOK hasn't come in for lunch but I have fed myself and a couple of kids...back to rearranging our communication center.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Ok, its my eye sight and the pp on FW was not seeing it right...all four triangles....point goes to the center. sssssGrrrr.

I remember those Kwik Sew patterns; I made them for my kids. Sew Thankful in NM carries the Kwik Sew patterns in the present day.

Moving right along here are Boy's playmate, birght hopes and birds eye view....for bright hopes I pick the pumpkin and the corn for a good harvest. For the Boy's playmate, I looked for something snakey or toady lol but only found these colorful cats....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh Rosy! Ya are just trucking right along! Such happy blocks!
    Bev

Quote Originally Posted by dublb View Post
    Oh Rosy! Ya are just trucking right along! Such happy blocks!
    I really want to finish these block first and then I am going to tackle the first FW using the bigger block as well.

QNS, Your kids should be home now? Did they let you know they arrived safely?

Rosy, I love all your blocks and stories. I am so happy you are doing the blocks and sharing with us.

The kids made it back home, Thank God. They are very tired but very excited about owning the Travel Trailer.

I copied the recipe, Ok. I made my Classic Meatloaf that dh brags about to other folks he meets. Its from the Amana Microwave people back in 1975.
    One to 1 1/2 lbs of ground beef (I substituted ground turkey and chicken on the last one and it was good!)
    1(8 oz can)of tomato sauce I used one pint of whole tomatoes.
    2 eggs ightly beaten
    1 cup of quick cooking oats
    1 TBSP of minced onion
    1/8 tso of minced garlic
    1 tsp of salt
    1/4 tsp of pepper

And its the sauce that really flavors the meat: 1/3 c. catup; 1 tsp of Worcestershire sauce; 1/4 c brown sugar; 1 tsp of prepared mustard.Combine all ingredients and put into a glass loaf pan. pour sauce over the meat loaf and put into the microwave for 18 - 19 minutes. I usually double the recipe and freeze one, and we eat the other.

Blog Entries
    The meatloaf recipe sounds like a keeper, too, QNS...thanks...glad the young ones made it home safe and sound.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Sue! That is my recipe for meat loaf! My family loves it but they want ketchup on the top. OH well.
    Bev

Dublb, Salsa works well on the top of it too...the sauce is mainly ketchup, so they can have their meatloaf and their ketchup, too. Had not tried the chicken/turkey ground meat before, but will try that again. Dh loved it.

We love our SIL; DD found a very good man to take as a husband, and have a child with him He worked hard for two days to get to travel worthy and safe for his family. DD followed in their van, so the trip took longer than usual. He did well and will fix things that need to be fixed and they will enjoy their comping trips with AC and heat in the trailer. DD and I washed all the linen and dish ware and pans in the trailer. We sold it for a dollar, because we never used it, and they will use it a lot.

Page 471 of 542 FirstFirst ... 371 421 461 470 471 472 481 521 ... LastLast