Colorado get-together?

Old 12-30-2020, 07:35 AM

Default January 2021 Colorado Sewing Machine Get Together - Part 4

James

James has been adding to his collection, and also sent pictures of an interesting and inexpensive sewing machine base design.

I am still collecting and working on my machines! After I saw a thread about someone asking about an easy base for their sewing machine heads that will not stand straight for display and having replied with my suggestion, I went ahead and made a proof of concept version of my version of an easy base that anyone can make without any wood working tools. I had recently received dense foam board such as that used in home insulation as packing material for one of my machines that was shipped to me. I selected two pieces and glued them together to get the proper thickness for clearance at the base bottom. I then traced around the head making note of sections that would require more and deeper cut outs. Using an ordinary knife I started cutting a size slightly smaller than required as I planned to keep trimming until I got a good tight fit. It did create a lot of uneven edges and sections of foam material all over the place.

I then trimmed the sides of the base to take up less room. Using a carbide sanding block I smoothed the sides as much as possible. It was possible to make them very smooth and even this way. Things started going a little wrong when I sprayed the base with a combo black primer and gloss paint. It made the surface a bit pebbly but since the foam was so dense, it did not penetrate that far. It still looked ok if someone did not mind that sort of texture and might actually work very well with crinkle paint machines. I decided to cover the base with clear shelf layer material and cut an opening and respray. It did not bond very well with the painted foam as you can see it made waves when I put the machine in. In evaluation of what went wrong I believe this would have worked much better if I had glued the clear shelf layer material on before any spaying or applied artist gesso over the dense foam so that the paint primer combo would not have eaten into it in the first place. The nice thing about using the dense foam is that the tight fit assures that the base stays attached to the head when you pick it up so no need for some sort of hinge latch system! Simply hold down to separate the base when you want to access underneath.

james-image1.jpeg

james-image2.jpeg

james-image3.jpeg

james-image4.jpeg

james-image5.jpeg

.... to be continued
Old 12-30-2020, 07:41 AM

Default January 2021 Colorado Sewing Machine Get Together - Part 5

I did get my first sewing related gifts for Christmas after people knew about my collecting machines. From my younger sister I received 3 reproduction sewing machine patents with an aged look suitable for framing and putting with the sewing machines.

james-image6.jpg

james-image7.jpg

james-image8.jpg

One of my recent acquisitions is an Eldredge chain stitch machine with a nice domed wood case. The case is in very good shape with some loss of veneer at several corners. Since the missing sections are so small, I think I can get one of those free samples of veneer flooring with the closest match and shave them to fit. Unfortunately a prior owner thought that having flower decals on the case would be an improvement as I doubt they are original. There is one on both sides. The Eldredge was made by National Sewing Machine Company and is a very close copy of a Willcox and Gibbs. It is pretty frozen so will need a lot of work to free up. Of interest is the use of a swing away motor to run the machine. This one is mounted on the base instead of on the head as with many swing away motors with other machines. It came with an unusual foot pedal with a rather clever internal design and the wiring is easily in the worst condition I have yet seen!

james-image9.jpeg

james-image10.jpeg

.... to be continued
Old 12-30-2020, 07:47 AM

Default January 2021 Colorado Sewing Machine Get Together - Part 6

james-image11.jpeg

james-image12.jpeg

My most recent sewing machine just arrived and comes in a very different wood case compared to my other wood cases. It has two hinge points at one end compared to one for most cases. The base is not flush with the top but has a smaller indention at the very bottom. The finish is a bit different and does not look like the usual type. Inside is a Jones Family CS handcrank that dates from the late 1930s based on the black label decals. The decals are in great shape with only a spot here and there of loss. Everything moves smoothly. I believe it should take a standard needle due to the late date. It is the same size as my Singer 28 so it is a 3/4 size machine.

james-image13.jpeg

james-image14.jpeg

james-image15.jpeg

James

In Closing

We will post here again next month.

We hope that everyone will have a happy, safe and prosperous new year!
Old 02-03-2021, 06:42 AM

Default February 2021 Colorado Sewing Machine Get Together Part 1

The new year started here in Colorado with unseasonably warm January weather, many 50s and 60s, with only a little snow in the Denver area. We still see the effects of Covid distancing, but some restaurants are beginning to open up again, slowly and carefully.

We are again doing a virtual meeting, with several of our members sending pictures and descriptions of their work over the last month. With the internet and other technologies we are able to keep in touch with each other until we can again meet in person.

In our postings here, everyone can review the meeting remotely. With that said, let's get the virtual meeting started.

Dianne

Dianne sent us a note about what she's been doing over the last month.

This past month has seen lots of sewing of quilts for Firehouse Quilts, which is having a drop-off for donations on Monday, Feb. 1. My contribution will be a dozen this time, from snuggle size, about 45x45, up to a large twin/double. A week was spent working on a new-to-me sewing machine. It was built to last a thousand years, except for one part. Dan and I will be working on that, and also have a lead on someone else who might be able to fabricate the part if we don't succeed. I might have the correct needle, but won't know for sure until the part we need is made and functioning. It will be a mystery until then.

Yesterday I started a much needed effort to sort/clean/reorganize my room for machines, sewing, books and computer. This could take a while!

Dianne

Leon

Leon got an interesting new machine and sent pictures of it.

Latest baby.

This New England Queen by National followed me home yesterday. When I got it, the presser foot would move. Nothing else. One day later I am ready to steal a shuttle and bobbin from another and try to figure out what needle to use. And stitch length control needs attention. Should be more fun. Iris is hard at work at the Capitol again. I have been working for the State of Kansas now for 40 years.

leon-img_20210128_110837.jpg

leon-img_20210128_110924.jpg

leon-img_20210128_111827.jpg

John responded to Leon with a question.

Hi Leon - It's John,

Got the pictures of your new baby which we will post this month.

Just curious. How does the rotary motion coming down the pillar get
converted to the motions needed for the vibrating shuttle and feed
dogs? It makes me wish I could see a picture of the underside of the
machine.

John

Leon responded:

Here ya go. I shot the pics already. Nice to hear from you.

leon-vsm-new-england-queen-rotarty-cam-shuttle-arm-full-c.jpg

After seeing the underside, John thinks this is a drive mechanism that he hasn't seen before.

.... to be continued

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 02-03-2021 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:49 AM

Default February 2021 Colorado Sewing Machine Get Together -- Part 2

Dorothy

Dorothy tells us about a dress form she has:

Hello!

I live in a small house which leads to a certain amount of creativity if you need something basic like a dress form. eBay to the rescue with a 1960's (my best guess) and a wire mesh flexible form. If needed it can be totally disassembled and stored in a closet. It is fit by opening or squeezing the mesh to adjust the fit. Old T shirts can be used to cover to smooth and should one decide to leave it a specific size a padded cover using quilt batting with the T shirt works nicely. (I have a dust cover T on it now.) The form is not as sturdy as other molded forms, but fully assembled is amazingly sturdy for the purpose. The closure is with snaps at center front and back. There are rods that hold the form in position.

I look forward the meeting!

Dorothy

dorothy-img_20210130_181723.jpg

dorothy-img_20210130_182004.jpg

dorothy-img_20210130_182025.jpg

dorothy-img_20210130_182115.jpg

.... to be continued
Old 02-03-2021, 07:01 AM

Default February 2021 Colorado Sewing Machine Get Together -- Part 3

Courtney

Courtney has been doing some work with quilting, which he tells us about.

This last month I have not gotten a lot done on sewing machines. I have spent most of my time trying to finish my "Sugaridoo"¯ quilt. I have included pictures of the finished top in previous months but now I can happily say that the whole quilt now finished! I have had a great time working on this quilt. Each month I would eagerly await the instructions for the next row . I have learned a great deal doing this quilt, it was just what I needed. I am now working on finishing a quilt I started some time ago. I have the top done and I just need to make the sandwich and quilt it. Maybe next month.

I really do not need a serger because I do not make clothing, but a month or so ago I did purchase one locally here for $20. It is an older model and does not have differential feed but I figured the $20 would be tuition and this could teach me a bit how they worked. It is a "Sergemate"¯ which I think was put out by Simplicity but there were other companies that distributed the same machine. I could not find a "Sergemate" manual on line but I did find a manual that is essential for the same machine. I have played around with it some. It did not come with a foot pedal but I had one, and I figured I could use it. It took some modification to the pedal and required me to rewire the machine but it is now working. I am not completely happy with my Jerry rigging so I think I will permanently attach the pedal and power cord for safety. It will sew a two needle 4 thread overcast seem. The knife seems to be working well. I think the tensions could use some adjusting but at least I can get it to sew. I will have to do some more research on how to adjust the tension since right now I do not know which thread is which. I had heard how difficult sergers were to thread so I made sure to take out all the thread and then try and follow the directions on re threading (more part of my tuition.) I did not think it was really too difficult, just one place where I had a bit of confusion. I am used to threading a Willcox and Gibbs chain stitch so this was similar except you had to do it 4 times. I have included a picture of my $20 tuition machine.

Oh, I almost forgot. Last Christmas I made Connie a fleece throw. Unfortunately, it was a bit short as we are both tall. I found some fleece at Joann's and made another throw. It is very simple just a gray plaid on top and a solid gray on bottom. I looks very nice. (in the picture the orange is not part of the throw.) We both like the sewn borders rather than the tied. Don't know how much use we will get out of it though as both the cat and the dog seem to be on it at all times. I also did another design for a friend for next Christmas. Never too early to be thinking of next Christmas!

Courtney

courtney-serger-small.jpg

courtney-throw-small.jpg

Responding to Courtney, Dorothy added:

Courtney

Thread with a different color in each area. Lets you see what is good or needs adjustment.

James

James describes what he's been working on and sends several pictures.

I have not worked on my sewing machines lately and no new acquisitions either. I do have plenty of machines that I have not shown yet. This is one of them.

I picked up the Angelus sewing machine complete with wood dome case. The case is in the same style as that used for White machines with the same turn knob to lock and unlock the case. Based on the look of the machine I suspected that it was a branded sewing machine made by Davis. On research of the name, it showed up on the ISMACS needle list under Davis. The shuttle also has Davis on it. One confusing bit however is that according to ISMACS needle list the machine takes a 1x2 needle but they state that this is for top tension Davis machines while mine is a front tension which they state takes a 15x1 needle.

Based on an vintage ad for some Angelus sewing machines in 1910 by a department store with the interesting name of Hamburger's in the Los Angeles area, I believe that my machine was a branded machine that Davis made for that specific store. Based on the design it looks like it borrows several features from the different Davis underfeed models as it can not be narrowed down to one model.

My machine included a Hamilton Beach swing away motor and a hacked on Singer button type pedal. The plugs are the two round prong type as seen in many National machines so Hamburger probably contracted the motor from Hamilton Beach for their sewing machines.

The machine needs repair for the motor mount and needs some cleanup but the decals looks to be in nice shape with an almost Christmas feel with the use of red flowers and deep green leaves with gold decoration. My guess that it dates sometime before WW1. The name Angelus is interesting in that the first letter A is done in an illuminated block style as seen in illuminated Bibles.

It came with a nice assortment of attachments in the storage bin on the base. Of interest is the single much longer needle and a triangle shaped key that must have belonged to a case top for a treadle machine.

James

james-image1.jpeg

james-image2.jpeg

james-image3.jpeg

.... to be continued
Old 02-03-2021, 07:15 AM

Default February 2021 Colorado Sewing Machine Get Together -- Part 4

james-image4.jpeg

james-image5.jpeg

james-image6.jpeg

Janey

Janey has been doing some online shopping.

It looks like I'm set for snap-on adapters. I have picked up various snap-on feet over the years, but generally without the adapters. In September I decided I needed some adapters, so ordered three. Two had the levers and one with the black push tab. I also got a 42 piece set with the adapter.

Then last month, I found a package of 10 adapters for less than I had paid for the two in September. I also found a zigzag foot with a self leveling button which came with a snap-on foot adapter with the black push button. Then there was a 16 piece foot set without an adapter. I also found a high shank snap-on adapter. So I ordered those.

I have wanted belt pliers and decided it was time to actually get one.

I have heard of the sewing clips (like Clover Wonder Clips) and thought it would be nice to have some of those. There were so many sets available on Amazon, it was hard to choose what to get. I ended up ordering the 90 piece set that came with 30 pieces of three different sizes along with some other goodies. I also saw a set of 50 in purple of the 'normal' size and a set of 25 of the large size (larger than the ones in the 90 piece set), also in purple.

As long as I was ordering sewing stuff, I might as well get a set of 6 one o'clock bobbin cases with 6 class 15 bobbins.

Dianne, had mentioned about getting some disposable micro applicators brushes for cleaning in small places. They had a 500 piece set of purple, but that was only one size, so I opted for the 500 piece set that had head diameters of 1.5/2.0/2.5 mm and at least I got 100 purple ones (1.5mm). I also ordered some of the disposable mascara wands, thinking those might come in handy for cleaning some things, which came in purple, pink and white.

Since some of my machines don't have lights or they don't have light where I need it, I got a couple of magnetic gooseneck sewing machine lights.

Years ago, I had some Gingher snips, that have managed to disappear, so I ordered another. I like the little u-shaped snips and thought that maybe if I somehow manage to downsize, I could include one with the machine. Sew, I ordered 20.

Lastly, I ordered a bias tape maker kit. Most of the kits only include four sizes, but I saw one that had five sizes, with some clips (no purple), the awl, a few pins and a binder foot. I hope I can find space to put one of the adapters with it.

In Closing

We hope that everyone is having a good start to the new year. Please stay safe and well.

We will post here with our next meeting. To those who follow us, thank you for reading and we'll see you again next month.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:56 AM

Default March 2021 Colorado Sewing Machine Get Together Part 1

Since our February post, winter arrived in earnest to Colorado, as it did many other places in the country. A sub-zero polar blast lasting several days was followed a week later by an unexpected foot of snow. Our surprise can not compare though, to that of the gulf states which were hit with temperatures they could never have predicted. Our thoughts and prayers are with those people who are still recovering from their unexpected cold.

Several of our members have submitted material this month for our show-and-tell, sharing their efforts and new acquisitions for all of us to read.

Leon

Leon, our member from Kansas, ran across some good fortune while looking for new additions to his collection. He explains to us:

I answered a marketplace add and picked up a Free Westinghouse.vs machine. It has the rotoscillo movement that takes the rotary motion of a shaft under the bed and changes it to the oscillation of the VS shuttle carrier. As I was there, another buyer picked up a 28 in a bentwood case. We talked a bit and he was going to use it for a power tool. I asked if I could have the shuttle and bobbin then. YEP. As I went to retrieve them, the manual made an appearance. He gave it to me also. Good day all around. It came with a handmade name plate with the name of the machine and the owner. Even better.

leon-vsm-free-wesinghouse-front.jpg

leon-vsm-free-wesinghouse-rotoscillo.jpg

leon-vsm-dugan-free-nameplate.jpg

leon-vsm-free-wesinghouse-id-chicago-plug.jpg

... to be continued
Old 03-03-2021, 06:02 AM

Default March 2021 Colorado Sewing Machine Get Together Part 2

Courtney

Courtney, from northern Colorado, sent the following report from the last month:

Dear All,

Boy, February is short! (and this year COLD.) I really have not done much concerning sewing machines themselves this month. I have however nearly finished another quilt. About a year and a half ago, a friend talked me into taking a “One Block Wonder” class at our local quilt shop. I learned how to cut and sew the hexagons before the pandemic. I sewed all the hexagons on my 1892 Willcox and Gibbs treadle. After the pandemic started, I added the borders and this week I finally got it quilted. Because of the hexagons, I decided to do some straight-line diamond quilting. I am pleased with how it came out (see pictures). I hope to finish off the quilt this week with a flange binding. Maybe I will have it completed by the end of the week.

I mentioned a couple of months ago that I was given a Kenmore 158.904 from about 1960 and I had hoped to play some with the machine and its accessories but did not have the time. Connie and I spent two or three days putting together a puzzle instead. It was nice spending Valentine’s Day with my Valentine putting together a Valentine puzzle (see picture).

Courtney

courtney-one-block-wonder.jpg

courtney-one-block-wonder-back.jpg

courtney-love-puzzle.jpg

... to be continued
Old 03-03-2021, 06:09 AM

Default March 2021 Colorado Sewing Machine Get Together Part 3

James

James has been busy, but has some pictures of a sewing machine in his collection:

I have not done anything sewing related lately. Been swamped at work and so on. I still have machines I have not shown yet though! For this month I am showing off my Western Electric sewing Machine that was made by National Sewing Machine Company. Based on the swing away motor, I am guessing it was made just after WW1. Western Electric put their plate on the swing away motor which is basically the same as a Hamilton Beach motor. Naturally the pivot point has snapped off so it will need to be repaired.

The decals are in nice condition but the wood base is in very rough condition. I do have all the hardware attached to the base including the latch hardware for connecting the wood dome top. My plan is to build a new base the same size as the old one and place the hardware on that. The dome top is in fair shape but is sound except for a hole that will need patching. This is a full size sewing machine and nothing seems to be locked up so it should be easy to get sewing again once I make a new base for it.

James

james-image1.jpeg

james-image2.jpeg

james-image3.jpeg

james-image4.jpeg

... to be continued